Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Day

To let you know what my last 24 hours have been like, I have to talk about Facebook, which these days consumes at least half my life.  So last night at about 8:30 PM Pacific Time, I made two posts on my FB wall that I had no idea would attract the attention of 50+ comments, many of them ESSAY LENGTH, within the space of less than 24 hours.  Here is what I said:


Sean Paul cannot believe what Andrew Pugno, a lawyer for Protect Marriage, said in an interview with CNN: "Seven million Californians voted to preserve or restore what marriage has meant since the beginning of time. If they're not permitted to do something as basic as that, then there's something, really something, wrong with our system."  First of all, this guy is ignorant, because he clearly has no clue that marriage is an evolving institution. Second, he is a #@$%@#%@ (insert your favorite bad word here), because he's basically saying that Californians have a right to be prejudiced and discriminate against minorities, and if they can't do that, there's something very wrong with the system. Some people are so stupid.

If you want to see all the comments, please go to my Facebook page or use this link: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=641201194&v=wall&story_fbid=140058786027913

And while this unprecedented debate was raging on my Facebook wall, Judge Vaughn Walker was issuing his ruling in the Proposition 8 trial, ruling that it was unconstitutional.  Fortunately, my partner of almost six years, Andrew, and I are down in Southern California right now and could have gotten married if the decision were put into effect immediately, but it wasn't, so we can't get married, unfortunately.  Yet.  It is, after all, only a matter of time.  This ruling could very well be the turning point in the battle over same-sex  marriage in the United States.

I was also heartened by President Barack Obama's words of support on the ruling.  His representative said: “The President has spoken out in opposition to Proposition 8 because it is divisive and discriminatory. He will continue to promote equality for LGBT Americans.”

I am feeling more patriotic today than I have in a while.  I am proud to be an American, where we occasionally fuck up, but we at least try to fix things that are clearly wrong.  Happy Birthday to Barack, and thank you for his kind words of support.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Sean ... I was proud to be an American today, too, and even proud to be an Utahan, where hundreds showed up tonight to march a celebratory circle around the LDS temple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elaine: Sean and I wish we could have been there!

    ReplyDelete