Monday, December 6, 2010

The Blog Challenge!!! Blog # 03: My Favorite Television Program

Well, as you probably can suspect, I don't have just one favorite television program. Let me list a few (not a bazillion like I did with the movies) and explain why I love(d) them (some of them are no longer on the air). To be fair, I'll go in chronological order, beginning with the oldest show.

Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987 - 1994): TNG will always hold a special place in my heart because it started the same year I was born. I actually remember watching episodes of it as a small child and being amazed by all the cool technology they had! In case you can't tell, I love to write. I have been published in numerous publications in my life and am currently writing a book. My writing career began writing fan fiction for Star Trek: The Next Generation at the tender age of eight. I was so inspired by by awe of Star Trek that it was this exposure at such a young age to science fiction that ultimately motivated me to pursue a career in writing.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993 - 1999): Deep Space Nine is perhaps the most underrated, darkest, and, frankly, best Star Trek series ever. Set on a space station in the solar system of a formerly occupied planet, Deep Space Nine explores themes of war, occupation, slavery, terrorism, and culture blending, to name a few. It is freaking awesome and if you've never watched it, you totally should. All seven seasons are on DVD.

Star Trek: Voyager (1995 - 2001): My second favorite Trek series, Voyager is set on a small starship lost in deep space. Struggling on their 70+ year journey home to avoid hostile aliens, secure energy and supplies for their ship, and continue to uphold their principles of noninterference, exploration, and contact with alien species, the crew of Voyager are constantly getting themselves into some kind of trouble, or have some new scheme to get home quicker. Or as my mother would say, they are always getting taken over by aliens! Voyager explores themes of isolation, independence, the application of societal ethics to situations of isolation, unauthorized alliances, trespassing, terrorism, loneliness, crew tension, and many others.

24 (2001 - 2010): Jack Bauer kicks ass and stops the terrorists. Every damn time... This show is pretty awesome. It spawned out of the September 11 terrorist attacks and quickly became a sort of sick pop culture icon representing our fears of being attacked by terrorists and the men and women we entrust to protect us from them. In the somewhat exaggerated world of Jack Bauer, American cities are the repeated targets of nuclear bombings, biological and chemical weapon attacks, and the like. American politicans and dignitaries are the targets of assassination plots and terrorist abductions, and Jack constantly finds himself in the middle of military coups and terrorist computer hacking. This show is really telling about our collective American sense of security, justice, fear, and protection.

Mythbusters (2003 - present): Four guys and a girl test pop culture myths using the scientific method. They do some crazy shit and have a lot of fun in the process. What more could you ask for from a television show? This highly educational and entertaining program has tested myths about everything from Mentos and Diet Coke creating a soda fountain (one of my personal favorites) to myths involving explosives, firearms, and vehicle collisions. I absolutely love this show, it is a hoot every time I watch it!

Lost (2004 - 2010): One of the strangest shows I have ever watched, Lost follows a group of people who become stranged on a very strange island in the middle of Nowhere, Pacific Ocean when their airplane crashes. They investigate the island, which has a long, strange history and unique electromagnetic properties. Spoiler alert! When the show ends, it turns out they were all dead all along. Kinda disappointing, but at the same time it sorta fits with the rest of the show. You'd have to watch it and it will either make sense to you or you will be really disappointed. I really fell into the former camp.

Glee (2009 - present): A show that is basically an excuse to perform really great music! Glee is set at a public high school in Ohio and follows the glee club as they experience adolescence in all its hormonal glory and compete in musical competitions. Excellent, excellent music! In fact, my iPod might as well be called my GleePod these days... It's pretty much all I listen to...

1 comment: